NATIONAL ORGANIZATION FOR WOMEN draft
ARTICLE I Name
The name of this Chapter shall be York Chapter of the National Organization for Women, Inc. and shall be referred to, in other than legal matters, as York NOW.
ARTICLE II Purpose
York NOW’s purpose is to take action to bring women into full participation in the mainstream of American society now, exercising all privileges and responsibilities thereof in truly equal partnership with men. This purpose includes, but is not limited to, equal rights and responsibilities in all aspects of citizenship, public service, employment, education and family life, and it includes freedom from discrimination because of race, ethnic origin, age, marital status, sexual orientation, economic status, gender identity, disability, religion/belief system or familial status.
ARTICLE III Policy
1. This Chapter shall be bound by the policy and bylaws of National NOW. When there is no established national policy, York NOW may express itself on any subject directly related to its purpose.
2. All business conducted by the group pertaining to finances or projects undertaken by the group must be voted on at regular monthly meetings and approved by a majority vote of those attending.
ARTICLE IV Dues
1. New members’ dues shall be $45. Reduced dues are available on a sliding scale from $18 to $44.
2. Membership renewals shall be handled by the National Membership Department, with a renewal form and business reply envelope being sent to the renewing member.
ARTICLE V Membership
1. Any person who subscribes to the purpose and has paid current National NOW dues may be a member of York NOW.
2. All active members may vote in business conducted by the group, including election of officers, financial matters and activities undertaken by the group.
3. Members shall receive the Chapter newsletter and special Chapter mailings, the National newsletter and the PA NOW Times.
4. Members may hold any office.
5. Current membership shall be determined by the Chapter Treasurer in conjunction with National NOW.
ARTICLE VI Officers and Board
1. Officers will be elected at the Annual Meeting, which shall be held in December of each year.
2. All officers shall be Chapter members in good standing. Each officer shall serve a one-year term and no officer may serve more than two (2) consecutive terms in the same office unless running uncontested for the position after two (2) consecutive terms.
3. No person may hold two (2) offices concurrently.
4. Officers’ terms shall begin on January 1st following the meeting at which they are elected and shall run through December 31st of that year.
5. Any person who is elected to fill a vacancy or who assumes the office of President due to a vacancy shall be eligible to serve two (2) full consecutive terms in their office.
6. The Board shall consist of:
b. Recording/Corresponding Secretary
d. State Delegate(s)
e. State Alternate(s)
f. Newsletter Editor
g. Membership Development Coordinator
a. The Chapter President shall be the principal spokesperson and administrator of the Chapter and manage the day-to-day affairs of the Chapter between Board and Chapter meetings. The President shall prepare agendas for and preside at all Board and Chapter meetings.
b. The Co-President shall assist the President and chair meetings in the absence of the President.
c. The Recording/Corresponding Secretary shall maintain records of all York NOW Board and Chapter meetings in chronological order and attend to NOW correspondence.
d. The Treasurer shall maintain the York NOW financial records, deposit and disburse Chapter funds as authorized and make a monthly financial report to the Chapter. The Treasurer shall also determine current Chapter membership in conjunction with National NOW.
e. The State Delegate(s) is/are the Chapter’s liaison to Pennsylvania State NOW and will vote for the Chapter on all issues at the State level.
f. The State Alternate(s) will vote for the Chapter on all issues at State level in the absence of the State Delegate(s).
g. The Newsletter Editor shall edit and publish the Chapter newsletter.
h. The Membership Development Coordinator shall coordinate efforts to gain new members and integrate them into York NOW activities and maintain the Chapter membership list for York NOW mailings, providing a current list to the Newsletter Editor.
8. Terms of Office
a. A term of office shall be one calendar year.
b. No person may serve more than two (2) consecutive terms in the same office unless running uncontested for the position after two consecutive terms.
a. Officers are elected by a majority vote of the members present at the Annual Meeting. All Chapter members of record for at least thirty (30) days prior may vote.
b. Positions shall come up for vote in the order in which the offices are presented in these Bylaws. Voting for one office at a time allows a person to run for more than one office.
c. Contested elections shall be voted by secret ballot. Uncontested positions may be confirmed by voice vote.
a. In the event of a vacancy in the office of President, the Co-President shall assume the office of President. Vacancies in other elected positions shall be announced at a Chapter meeting and/or in the newsletter with nominations and election at the next Chapter meeting.
b. The Board must consider any recall petition submitted by a minimum of two-thirds (2/3) of the Chapter membership, each of whom must have been a member at least thirty (30) days prior to the date of the petition.
c. Any officer may be recalled from office by a two-thirds (2/3) vote of those Board Members present at a Board meeting.
ARTICLE VI I Meetings
1. The Chapter will hold a minimum of ten (10) Chapter meetings during the year, at such dates, times, and places as determined by the Chapter Board.
2. Board meetings will be called as needed by the President or by a majority of the Board.
3. Any number present shall constitute a quorum, except for the annual meeting at which a quorum shall consist of at least 10% of the actual chapter membership.
ARTICLE VIII Committees
The Board shall have the power to appoint committees for specific purposes and dissolve them when those purposes have been fulfilled. Chairs of said committees shall be members of the Chapter and shall be appointed by the Board.
ARTICLE IX Grievance Procedure
In the event of a grievance, each side to the controversy will designate one arbitrator and these two arbitrators will select a third arbitrator. Any person who has a conflict of interest may not serve as an arbitrator. The arbitrators will conduct a private hearing on the matter at which both sides to the controversy may present their case. The arbitrators shall endeavor to resolve disputes to the mutual satisfaction of the parties. Should they fail to resolve the controversy, the matter may be referred to the State NOW.
ARTICLE X Amendments
1. These operating rules may be amended provided that such amendments are proposed by the Board or by any five (5) Chapter members. Written notice of proposed amendments must be given to all Chapter members at least 30 days before the meeting at which the proposed amendment is to be voted on.
2. Amendments to these Operating Rules must be approved by 2/3 of those members present and voting.